As I snuggled into bed, I was lying on my right side and on the left side of my lower abdomen I started having those bubbly feelings like crazy.
Was it baby's first discernible movements?
Or wasn't it?
I really couldn't say.
Everyone says that, when you're feeling your first baby move for the first time, you don't really know if that's what you're feeling or not. It's not until it keeps happening over time that you begin to recognize it and realize what it is.
People describe the sensation of "quickening" as: a fluttering feeling, like popcorn popping, like bubbles, like a goldfish swimming around and hitting the sides of the bowl.
Well, I definitely could have described this feeling in any of those ways.
But maybe it was just gas bubbles or digestive rumblings or something.
It went on for quite awhile. I could feel it even more when I pressed my hand against it. I tried to see if Greg could feel anything, but he couldn't.
I know movement is usually felt for the first time between 16-20 weeks or soon after. I really haven't expected to be able to feel anything at all yet. They say you don't feel it as early with your first. But then again, they also say you may feel it sooner if you're a very slender person, which I am (except for, you know, lately). The feelings definitely caught me off guard, but I found myself thinking fondly of my baby and hoping that was him or her making their presence known.
It would be kind of weird of me to feel tender, loving feelings toward random intestinal gurglings.
But I think it just might maybe possibly perhaps have been baby doing some late-night exercising.
Or maybe not.
Was it . . . or wasn't it?
I hope it was!
![]() |
| From Loving the Life We Live |

YES!!!! Isn't that just the neatest feeling?!?!
ReplyDelete