This has been a landmark week for me. This week, my son is finally calling me "Mommy!"
(insert rainbows, smiley faces, and happy sparkly unicorns)
Prior to this week, I have been "Mama" or, lately, just plain "Ma" - or perhaps I should say "MAAAAA!" Since Mommy is my chosen name, I was ecstatic to hear it for the first time ever coming from the lips of my child. It just melts my heart every time I hear him say it. :)
In other news, after bathtime last night I was singing "How Much is that Doggy in the Window" in front of the bathroom mirror, only this time Davis happily chimed in with the "WOOF WOOF"s. Again, super exciting to me although probably ho-hum to anyone else.
This morning, Davis got out his nursery rhyme book. He was looking at the "This Little Piggy" nursery rhyme and then spontaneously took off his sock and grabbed his big toe! Interestingly enough, I am always trying to play "this little piggy" with him and he is not especially interested in it and almost never lets me do all his toes.
Speaking of socks, Davis is rather obsessed with them. First thing in the morning when I go to his crib, he grabs the feet of his sleeper and says "sock." He will ask for socks when I'm dressing him and always tries to put them on (same thing with "shirt," which he will sometimes pick for himself out of his dresser). He found one of Daddy's socks on the floor this morning, said "sock," took off his own sock, and then tried to put Daddy's sock on. After some assistance from me, he realized that the sock was too big, so he took it off and tried to put his own back on. We went to play with his little friend Nolan today, and Nolan has a habit of taking off one (but only one) sock. When Davis realized that Nolan had a bare foot, he said "sock," so I handed Nolan's sock to him and Davis bent down and tried to put the sock on Nolan's foot! Nolan, bless his heart, was more than happy to let Davis do this and agreeably lifted up his foot and tried to poke his toes into the sock that Davis was holding open.
On Sunday, I swear that Davis said a complete sentence: "Get the ball." If you don't believe me, there were witnesses - unbiased third parties who confirmed that they heard him say "get the ball." I am so looking forward to having a child who can really talk. Davis has at least 80 words now, so he is on the way. His newest word today is "mine." Hmmm...that might not be one of my favorite words for him to say.
It is the cutest thing ever hearing Davis count. He has started counting to three before doing something, like throwing a ball or jumping off the couch. It is nice that he gives us some warning, in case he has something forbidden in his hand to throw - we have to the count of three to get to him and prevent disaster from occuring!
Yep, though hard to believe, I am most definitely a mommy. I get all excited about every little thing this kid says and does, and now for the first time someone in this world calls me "Mommy." :) If you, for some crazy reason, don't find these little stories and tidbits as fascinating as I do, you may want to step away from this blog! It is sure to become my way of recording all these funny and heart-warming little anecdotes so that I won't forget them, because every moment is so precious and I want to remember it all!
![]() |
| From Loving the Life We Live |

No comments:
Post a Comment