Monday, January 31, 2011

The BIG News!

We have some BIG news to share!

Today we had an ultrasound to get baby's measurements.  Our baby is perfectly proportioned, measuring in the 97th percentile, and estimated to currently weigh a whopping SIX POUNDS!  That is a lot for 33w1d gestation . . . in fact, I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead!  If our baby keeps growing at the same rate (and it might not - growth may slow down), his or her birth weight would be estimated at 9 lbs. 3 oz.

Now that is what I call BIG news.

What else did we learn at today's appointment?
  • Our baby is shy...or stubborn...or both.  The ultrasound technician had a hard time trying to get good pictures and a decent shot of baby's face because the baby's face was pressed into the uterine wall.  Then the baby turned over so his or her face was completely obscured.  Camera shy!  We got a couple of decent profile shots, though, which I'll post as soon as I'm back at work and have access to the scanner.  With the winter storm they're predicting, though, you may have to wait a while for that.
  • Our baby is hairy.  No baldy babies here!
  • Our baby is frank breech.  He or she is all curled up in a ball with his/her feet all the way up by his/her face.
  • Our baby's heart rate was 135 (I forgot to report the heart rate at our last appt. - it was hovering around high 140s to low 150s.)
  • The amount of amniotic fluid is right where it should be, so that's great.
My doctor is going to keep monitoring the big baby situation as we go along.  Our baby is healthy, so that's great news.  The frank breech position will be a problem if it stays that way, so we'll see if the baby turns on its own over the next weeks.  If the baby doesn't turn (so far, it has never been head-down) or if it just gets too darn big, we'll be looking at a C-section.  If a C-section has to be scheduled due to the breech position, it will likely be sometime in the 39th week.

With the baby measuring so far ahead, it makes me think that I may have less than 7 weeks left even if I go into labor naturally.  Better start making a to-do list and checking it twice!

From Loving the Life We Live

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!! That IS big news!!! I'm glad the baby is hairy, too. I'm partial to hairy babies. ;)

    ReplyDelete