Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Procrastinator

On Halloween, I decided to pull out the bag of goodies that I got at my first OB appointment this summer, thinking that I should probably start looking at the info about childbirth classes at the hospital where I will deliver.  I was shell-shocked when, in big bold letters near the top of the page, I read the words, "Please register for classes by week 20 of your pregnancy."

Holy cow!  That very day marked 20 weeks exactly.  I suddenly realized that I had been a procrastinator without even knowing it.  So I got on the hospital's website to register and felt slightly panicked when I realized that upcoming classes were full.  I was hoping that I wouldn't find myself relegated to having to take childbirth classes after my due date!  Seriously, what would they do if you didn't realize you were supposed to sign up so early and everything ended up being full?  I hope that they would make room for you somehow, but I don't know.

Luckily, I finally found the calendar for 2011 classes and wasted no time in reserving our spot for the labor & birth series offered at the beginning of January.

Whew - what a relief!

Then I registered for a breastfeeding class . . . and a newborn care class . . . and a car seat safety class . . . and a newborn massage class.

I'm also thinking of signing up for the labor relaxation class, which is specifically designed for those wanting a natural birth, even though I do not know if I have the guts to attempt that.  Either way, it probably doesn't hurt to have some extra techniques under your belt, right?

So it looks like I'm going to be pretty busy for the entire month of February.  But I just can't resist the lure of FREE classes.

Sometime, I really ought to get around to pre-registering our birth (so we don't have to fill out all the paperwork when I arrive at the hospital in labor).  But before we do that, we're supposed to choose a pediatrician.  Now, how on earth does one go about deciding that?

*Sigh*  Maybe I'll be a procrastinator on that for a little while longer.

From Loving the Life We Live

4 comments:

  1. Selecting a pediatrician is actually one of the hardest parts. If you really like your OB, you should ask them for some suggestions. Also, you can set up "interviews" at most offices to meet pediatricians to ask questions and see if you "click". Luckily, with working at Arnett Clinic, I go to see the different doctors in action and we found a GREAT pediatrician for our kids. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm not the only one who took about 50 classes before the due date?!? They're all good, and they're all worth the time. I agree with Shawna; I asked my OB and she gave me two great options. I only interviewed one of them, and it was awkward because the doctor didn't know why I was there just to ask him questions. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it would feel kind of awkward meeting with a ped just to ask questions, since I probably don't really know enough about the questions I should ask or what answers I will really even be looking for. My OB's husband is a pediatrician . . . I wonder if I asked her, if she would recommend I go with him. :)There's also a ped who goes to our church; I can't decide if that would be a good thing or a bad thing. Ehhh...maybe I'll put it off a little while longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you in the pediatrician part! How do you know what questions to ask?
    I'm signed up for classes too! We're in the middle of child birth preparation, infant CPR is this Tuesday, plus I have breastfeeding and basic infant care.. Our hospital doesn't have the other ones you mentioned! With your childbirth class, you'll probably have a tour of Labor and Delivery, so make sure you have your questions for that!

    ReplyDelete