Monday, November 11, 2013

16 Weeks (and one day)

It is possible that I may not be as prompt and frequent in my posts about this pregnancy as I was when I was pregnant with Davis.  Running around after a toddler somehow makes it harder to remember to document this journey and write blog posts.  Second child syndrome begins early, I guess!  But I will do my best to mend the error of my ways and will attempt to do bi-weekly updates.  If I fail in this task, please promise that you will look tactfully aside and pretend not to notice.  Never let it be said that I am not just as excited about Baby #2 as I was Baby #1.  I just happen to have less time on my hands.

So the question becomes - what the heck did I blog about when I was pregnant with Davis?  I had to look back in my blog archives from 2010 and will try to do the same kind of update.

Frequently Asked Questions

When are you due?
Sunday, April 27 is the big day if you feel the urge to circle it on your calendar.

Are you going to find out if it's a boy or a girl this time? / Do you have names picked out?
Once again, no.  Sorry, Grandma.  ;)  And no, we haven't really worked on names yet and won't be revealing those choices either.  Remember, we didn't have a boy name decided upon when we went to the hospital for Davis to be born.  I expect it will be the same way - we'll have a good idea of what our name options are, but nothing set in stone until we meet our little one.

How have you been feeling?
I have been feeling pretty well.  There were some rough weeks there in the first trimester, of course.  I mostly just had evening sickness, where I felt super yucky from dinnertime until bedtime and just wanted to lie around and feel sorry for myself.  Davis watched more TV than I care to admit some days because of my general feeling-yucky-ness, but at least my part-time work schedule meant I got to take naps most afternoons.  I successfully employed the mind over matter technique again and only actually "got sick" on three different occasions during this pregnancy.  The trash, dirty dishes in the dishwasher, and toddler urine and poo were the main offenders.  I wasn't too sick with Davis, either, so I guess I have really lucked out.  I can't complain too much, but I'm still glad that the first trimester is behind me.  I really hope everything goes well with this pregnancy and this baby so that I never have to be first trimester pregnant again (as well as the more obvious reasons!).  Ugh.

Are you going to have another C-section?
That's a conversation that I will have with my doctor in April.  The circumstances that led to the decision for a C-section may not reoccur with this pregnancy.  We will see how things look as the due date approaches and make an informed decision about whether a VBAC or repeat C-section would be the best choice for both mom and baby.  At this point, I am not opposed to either and neither is my doctor.

Have you felt the baby move yet?
I swear that I have felt movement since around 9 weeks, and most definitely since 12 weeks on a regular basis.  It seems impossible to feel it so early, but it was really like something was tickling me from the inside, and I could feel it squirming around in there, always in the same location.   My doctor appointment at 13 weeks (which freaked me out because they couldn't find the heartbeat with the Doppler and had to do an ultrasound) confirmed that the baby was nestled right down in that very location, and my doctor agreed that it was entirely possible to feel the baby move, even that early, with a subsequent pregnancy.  Yesterday, right at 16 weeks, I first felt a different movement that was more like the bubbling feeling I got the very first time I felt Davis move (at 16 weeks).

Have you told Davis? / What does Davis think about this?
I've said little things here and there, but he has been pretty oblivious to the whole thing . . . until yesterday.  I have my first "big brother" stories to share and they just melt my heart.  Last night we were playing, kind of rough-housing like an active 2-year-old boy likes to do, and I cautioned him to watch out and be careful not to kick Mommy's tummy because, as I said, "there is a tiny baby in Mommy's tummy trying to grow."  I thought it would go in one ear and out the other, but Davis stopped, looked me in the eyes, put his hand on my stomach, and said, "That baby?"  (as in, that's a baby?)  I'm pretty sure that I turned into a pile of mush, it was such a sweet moment.  A little while later, he started looking down my shirt collar saying things like, "Hey, where baby go?  I can't see baby."  It was so precious I can't even stand it.  This morning at the babysitter, they were talking about what they are thankful for while making a Thanksgiving craft.  The babysitter named off what she is thankful for and then asked Davis what he is thankful for, to which he answered, "my mommy baby."  Awww!  Then tonight, we talked a little more about it.  He said something about Mommy's baby, so I asked him where the baby is.  He pointed to my knee first and I laughed and said, "Nooo, the baby's not in my knee."  So he pointed to my stomach, and then he wanted to look at my stomach and talk about the baby.  I asked if he could kiss the baby and he leaned in and nuzzled his face into my stomach while giving it a BIG kiss.  I am so excited to give Davis a little brother or little sister to love and grow up with, and I think I will enjoy seeing this pregnancy unfold through his eyes.

And as a side note, I am already huge (for only 16 weeks, anyway).  It was next to impossible to conceal this pregnancy until after the first trimester, so nobody was really surprised at the news.  I am at that fun in-between point where only a few of my regular shirts will fit, but my maternity shirts make me look like a whale.  The good news is that I can still button my jeans (thank you, low rise), but I don't think that will last for long!
From Loving the Life We Live

4 comments:

  1. Love the pic...you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help you with the names. Maudine Penelope for a girl and Ignatius Constantine for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! Great name suggestions, Shalimar! :D

    That grandson of mine is so stinkin' cute! ♥

    I'm glad you've started the sort-of regular pregnancy posts, Mariah. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete