Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thirteen Months . . . er, Fifteen Months, I mean

Believe it or not, I started working on this post when Davis turned 13 months old.  Now he's 15 months old already.  How did that happen?

These days, it feels like Davis is teetering at the border between babyhood and toddlerhood.  Sometimes when we watch him, it really strikes us that he is getting to be such a big boy!  (But I am glad that I still have my sweet baby for a little while longer.)
He is an expert at quickly climbing up and down the stairs and loves to play with the baby gate at the top of the stairs - opening and closing it and crawling/walking through it over and over.  He knows how to slide off the couch feet-first (much preferable to his previous head-first method).  Yes, he did eventually learn how to point, wave, and clap . . . well, kind of clap.  He hasn't quite figured out the correct technique yet.  His cruising really took off starting in the last week or two of May.  He loves to push around his little push cart, as well as play in his tunnel and teepee.  He loves looking at books.  We have one book where the first lines are, "Stomp your feet, clap your hands" and whenever he gets that book out, he looks at it and claps his hands!  We have a colors book I made when I taught kindergarten with the first page being, "Fred Red bumps his head..." and whenever he gets the book out and turns to that page, he taps his head with his hand.  One day, Greg started singing that verse of the song without the book in sight while Davis was playing with something else, and Davis stopped and tapped his head!  He knows what combs and brushes are for and will pick them up and wipe them against his hair.  He has recently discovered the joy of playing on the playground at the nearby park and now, whenever we go on a walk, he starts reaching and whining and soon as he sees the playground.  He especially loves it when he sees other kids there that he can smile at/watch/try to play with.  He has learned how to push the button on our upstairs TV to turn it on and off (and has since moved on to messing with the volume and channel buttons), and always wants to bang on the computer keyboard.  He says "dada," "mama," and "uh-oh" and we suspect him of saying some other words, like "no," "Davis," "hi," and "bye-bye," but as it turns out, I've always been bad at understanding other people's kids' first attempts at talking and I'm just as bad at figuring it out with my own kid!  Interestingly enough, in spite of the fact that he barely ate solids at all until he was one, he has somehow become an excellent and voracious eater.  People stare in awe when they watch him pack it in.  We are beginning to fear that he is going to eat us out of house and home, and we shudder to think what the teenage years could be like if he keeps this up.  He is getting to that age where he knows what he wants and will be sure to complain if you don't give it to him!  I could do without the whining.  :)  But I'm pretty sure that part will get a lot worse before it gets any better...if it ever gets better.  Overall, though, he has such a happy and pleasant disposition and sparkles with personality.  Tons of people still stop us in the grocery store to comment on how beautiful/adorable/cute/gorgeous he is.  I never get tired of that.  :)

And the big news?  Drumroll please . . . DAVIS IS WALKING!  Yes, he took his first real solo steps (4 in a row) on Tuesday night, June 5.  Greg and my sister and I were all watching him at the time, and it was SO exciting.  He is getting more and more courageous with his walking attempts and looks so cute and funny toddling around on his short little legs.  His record is somewhere around a dozen steps.  We have also had our first bloody lip from a fall while walking . . . oh joy.  We are really enjoying watching him hone his new walking skills.  It won't be long now and we'll have a full-fledged walker on our hands!

I have tons of pictures from the past couple of months that I've been wanting to post - it's so hard to narrow it down!  But here are a few:

One of our son's greatest goals in life is to get into the fridge and/or dishwasher.

I also turned around one day and found that he was sitting in his cabinet.



Frozen blueberries are a favorite (though messy) snack.


This next picture is of Davis proudly cruising around the furniture at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

Did I mention that he loves playing on the playground at our neighborhood park?


...and in his tunnel, too!

Little man walking with Uncle Jeff and Daddy

And he loves to put his feet up and get some air on his toes when on a stroller ride!

From Loving the Life We Live

No comments:

Post a Comment